Last updated: 4th February 2013
- Tachyporinae- see updated version.
- Aleocharinae: there are useful characters in Joy but it is quite a big job to disentangle the taxonomic changes that have occurred within this subfamily since Joy (1932).
- ‘Helodidae’: Scirtidae and Psephenidae except for the genera Elodes and Cyphon.
Elateridae, Eucnemidae, Throscidae – see updated version.
All Joy’s ‘Teredilia’: Anobiidae, Bostrichidae and Orthocerus.
Joy’s ‘Clavicornia’. The final ‘suborder’ in Joy’s handbook contains several keys which are still useful.
- Staphylinidae: Scydmaeninae
- Joy’s ‘Cucujidae’: now comprising the whole of families Laemophloeidae and Cucujidae and parts of families Silvanidae and Trogossitidae.
- Joy’s ‘Cryptophagidae’: now comprising Endophloeus (Colydiidae), the subfamily Silvaninae of Silvanidae, Diplocoelus (Biphyllidae) and a large part of the modern family Cryptophagidae (of which only Joy’s key to the two Henoticus species is yet to be superseded).
- Joy’s ‘Lyctidae’: the genus Lyctus which is now included within family Bostrichidae.
- Joy’s ‘Lathridiidae’: now comprising Mycetaea and Holoparamecus (part of Endomychidae), Myrmechixenus (part of Tenebrionidae), Bitoma (part of Colydiidae), Hypocoprus, Paramecosoma and Telmatophilus (part of Cryptophagidae), and the whole of the Latridiidae (now spelt without the ‘-h-‘).
- Joy’s ‘Colydiidae’: another ragbag of which only Joy’s key to Rhizophagus (Monotomidae) has been thoroughly superseded.
- Joy’s ‘Nitidulidae’: another ragbag of which only Joy’s keys to Meligethes and Epuraea (Micrurula, Dadopora and Epuraea in Joy) have been thoroughly superseded.
- Joy’s ‘Mycetophagidae’: another ragbag of which only Joy’s key to Atomaria (Cryptophagidae) has been thoroughly superseded.